What is Fit India Movement?
FIT INDIA Movement was launched on 29th August, 2019 by Hon'ble Prime Minister with a view to make fitness an integral part of our daily lives. The mission of the Movement is to bring about behavioural changes and move towards a more physically active lifestyle. Towards achieving this mission,
“Healthy man means healthy family which ultimately leads to healthy society. This is the only way to new India.” – Prime Minister Shri.Narendra Modi
On the occasion of 114th birth anniversary of Major Dhyan Chand India’s hockey legend, India witnesses the launch of the “Fit India Movement”. The event started off by a colourful performance over the description of various health benefits of India’s native martial arts forms and games that are played in the country by people, at Indira Gandhi Stadium Complex.
In his speech PM used examples of China’s “Healthy China 2030” and Germany’s “Fit instead of Fat” programmes to emphasize the interest of the international community’s into a healthier lifestyle.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi addressed the nation after paying tribute to Major Dhyan Chand. In his address to the nation, PM emphasized the importance of a healthy lifestyle and how we have become ignorant about our fitness with the evolution of modern technology. He urged citizens to participate with enthusiasm in the movement, as the government only wishes to work as a catalyst in this movement and wants citizens to take it further and make it a huge success. He emphasized the participation of every men and woman,
Fit India proposes to undertake various initiatives and conduct events to achieve the following objectives:
- To promote fitness as easy, fun and free
- To spread awareness on fitness and various physical activities that promote fitness through focused campaigns
- To encourage indigenous sports
- To make fitness reach every school, college/university, panchayat/village, etc.
- To create a platform for citizens of India to share information, drive awareness and encourage sharing of personal fitness stories
A month after Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched a countrywide fitness movement; the University Grants Commission (UGC) has released a set of guidelines for the higher educational institutes to adopt.
It has been suggested to the institutes to incorporate a fitness period or time slot in the academic calendar. Besides, provisions of healthcare and wellness initiatives should be considered among key objectives of the institution, the guidelines said.
Other focus areas:
- All the students, staff and teachers should be encouraged to devote minimum one hour per day on fitness activities such as exercise, yoga, meditation, walking, cycling, aerobics, dance, traditional regional martial arts etc.
- Institutions should prepare fitness leaders to mentor students for physical fitness.
- Services of student volunteers from institutions, faculty members, instructors and ex-servicemen should be obtained.
- Health icons and motivational speakers on health and fitness should be invited to the campus.
- The top leadership of the institution and professors should actively participate with students and staff in fitness activities such as cycling, running, aerobics, walkathon, marathon, yoga, meditation etc. on a periodic basis to lead by example.
- Proper utilisation of existing infrastructure, encouraging students to climb stairs, walk at least 10000 steps a day, use cycles within the campus by creating cycling zones, availing gymnasium facilities etc.
- Addressing the emotional concerns of students to promote mental health. Awareness or sensitisation workshops on depression, anxiety and stress management should be organised for faculty and students.
- Students should be provided guidance regarding a balanced nutritional diet, distribution of pamphlets and information material on the subject.
- Frequent organisation of sports activities (at least once in a quarter) in which students should be encouraged to participate.
- Annual health check-ups by volunteer health doctors or voluntary organisations to monitor health & fitness of students, faculty and staff.
What is "Fit India Movement" Mission?
The campaign was a four-year plan; which will be running on different fitness related topics every year. First-year of the movement will be focused on physical fitness; for the second, third, and fourth-year eating habits, environment-friendly lifestyle, and preservation from diseases would be the topic of a central focus, respectively.
The Fit India Movement is aimed to popularize the culture of sports and fitness in the country. It encourages people to prioritize fitness in their day-to-day lives.
What are the Benefits of Fit India Movement (Positive Impact)
- It will help people to think and steal some time for themselves.
- The more people will try to keep themselves healthy the more they will stay fit and, in this way, the less they will feel sick and we will become a healthy nation.
- A healthy person can perform well in many ways, they can work for extra hours, they stay active for a long time, and their performance differs from others. So, it is beneficial in many ways.
- There are many ways of keeping yourself fit, it can be sports, exercise, and many of us love playing but due to our busy schedule we never go on the ground. Thanks to the Fit India movement, many offices have started organizing weekly sports events and some of them have also opened a gym in the office premises for their staff.
- Health is the biggest bank balance, and once it is over no one can refill it, so it's better to invest a few hours on health every day. People are understanding this and trying to manage some time for it.
To celebrate second anniversary of Fit India Movement and as part of Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav, the Minister of Youth Affairs and Sports, Anurag Singh Thakur was launched the Fit India Mobile Application on 29th August 2021.
Over the past two years, the Fit India Movement has reached millions of people across the country via its various fitness campaigns such as Fit India School Week, Fit India Freedom Run, Fit India Cyclothon, and many others.
Currently, the Fit India Movement is also conducting Fit India Freedom Run 2.0 in celebration of ‘Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav’ – An initiative of the central government to celebrate and commemorate 75 years of India’s Independence.
Health can be your best partner and will never ditch you and helps you most of the time. So, rather investing in your bank account invests in your health. It is a pan India movement and people from all age groups are taking part in it. Today in the age of social media, people feel more connected to one another and they get motivated by watching others and this campaign got so much popular just because of it. Let’s pledge to stay healthy and also motivate others for it.
Every HEI must appoint a Nodal Officer to Plan, Coordinate, Carry Out , Monitor and Compile the Report of every event and uploaded the same in their Website and Fit India Portal as well.